Should I do Cardio or Weights first?

I read somewhere that lifting before cardio was much better for fat loss and workout energy efficiency. I used to be a cardio junkie so I always gave pririty to my cardio first, and Let me tell you I get in the zone and go crazy. I like fast moving cardio workouts like kickboxing, Insanity®, running, you name it.  The sweatier I get the better. Then I tried to pick up the weights, guess what, I just felt like the switch in my brain wasn't getting it. I had no energy left to lift heavy weights so I would go light or simply leave it for the next day.  Let me tell you,  It takes a lot of energy to move heavy weights and I was leaving it all in my cardio sessions. 
To be able to reach that shredded body, our body needs to use the fat storaged as fuel for exercise. To achieve this, we must burn off the glycogen stores first. Weight-train typically uses glycogen as fuel. By doing weight-training first, we get to burn the majority of the glycogen stores. Sooooo now you know it's much better to go cardio crazy after you crush the weights! You will maximize fat loss.
Go For the EPOC

After a workout, your body continues to burn additional calories up to 48 hours. This is known as excess post-exercise oxygen consumption. EPOC occurs because your body needs energy to repair your muscles after you've challenged them in a really intense workout session (like Insanity® Classes with yours truly wink wink!) It occurs at a much higher rate after intense weight-training than after low-intensity, steady-state cardiovascular training; that's why it's important to put as much energy into your lifting sessions. If you do cardio before you lift, you won't have the energy to work as hard as you can to maximize results. A less productive weight-training session can impact EPOC. Less calorie burn! 

Go heavy or go home! Peas out! 


No comments:

Post a Comment